Italian: Second Language ATAR
Click the headings below to reveal information.
If you would like to return to the List A and List B page please click HERE.
The Italian: Second Language ATAR course is designed to further develop students’ knowledge and understanding of the culture and the language of Italian-speaking communities, providing them with opportunities to gain a broader and deeper understanding of Italian and extend and refine their communication skills. The course focuses on the interrelationship of language and culture, and equips students with the skills needed to function in an increasingly globalised society, a culturally and linguistically diverse local community, and provides them with the foundation for life-long language learning. Relevant and engaging tasks, delivered through a range of appropriate contexts and topics, develop literacy in the Italian language as well as extend literacy development in English.
- Why study Italian? Click on this LINK
- For information on the Italian: Second Language ATAR courses, refer to the course page on the Authority website HERE
- This course will provide the student with the following opportunities:
- WAATI/Interculura 2 month Exchange Programme to Italy, click on this LINK for more information
- Hosting an Exchange Student from Italy
- Study Tour to Italy
- WAATI Exams – State Wide Competitions
- Italian Language Assistants providing language and cultural support in our classes
- 10% Language Bonus for university entrance
Studying Italian at Mercedes, through to year 12, has helped me in more ways than I could have ever imagined possible. Thinking strategically, the biggest advantage was the 10% bonus which boosted my ATAR upwards. Thinking in terms of self-fulfilment however, it was a very enjoyable experience which inspired my love for languages and provided me with great foundations for learning another language at university! It is also very rewarding to come out of high school having a good grasp on the most beautiful language in the world!
Emily Zimmermann, 2017 Graduate